Thursday, December 16, 2010

Strawberry Dacquiri Disappointment...

Okay, some friends and I went out to eat after our last class of the semester today and I ordered a strawberry dacquiri.  Can I ask you a question?  Where's the ALCOHOL in that thing?  I know this sounds kind of bad, but if I'm going to go through the trouble of dropping my car off at home and having my friend be the designated driver, I'd like a definitive reason to use that designated driver.  You know?  It was a nice tasting drink, though.

Last weekend I went and bought a bottle of white zinfandel because it's supposed to be a sweeter type of wine to start with (for newbies like myself).  After I managed to get the friggin' cork out of that sucker (which took me at least 15 minutes with the use of a corkscrew and my quad muscles no less) I sat down with my classy styrofoam cup and enjoyed the wine, watched a movie, and relaxed.  And waited.  And wondered why I couldn't feel the mellowing effects of the alcohol.  I was still my normal high-strung self after what I assumed was roughly 2 servings.  It was kind of a let down.

So what I'm gathering from my experiences thus far is that just because a drink is "alcoholic" does not necessarily mean it will be enough to achieve any specific desired effect (ie. to relax/mellow a person).  So, tomorrow night I'm going to try a beer.  I haven't the faintest clue where to start as far as choosing a beer, though.  Any suggestions?

Also, I posted something on my FB page today about the mall being built by the church and my opinion of it.  Of all of my LDS friends, only one has commented so far and her reasoning was pathetically weak.  Thanks to an educated friend and my 2 cents worth, I believe a sufficient response was made.  I'm feeling a little empowered with speaking out in that kind of a forum...and waiting patiently for the repercussions.

4 comments:

  1. I can drink lots of wine and feel nothing... The daiquiri must not have been very strong, and one drink usually does nothing for me. (Daiquiris here in Louisiana are usually the equivalent of three or four drinks in one...)

    My preferred poison is vodka and diet pepsi. If drinking at home I mix 1.5 oz of vodka with about 4 oz of diet pepsi, four ice cubes. Three of those will always get me relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok if you want mellow, try red wine or a vodka and cranberry, or a long island iced tea

    ReplyDelete
  3. It could be that you have a higher than normal tolerance to alcohol poisoning (which is what getting buzzed is!). I can get as buzzed as I'm comfortable with on four O'Douls, which have 0.2% alcohol... If I have two real beers, there better be a bed handy because I'll soon be snoring.

    May I suggest Pinot Noir for your next foray into wine. Your local discount supermarket should have some you can choke down for under $3 a bottle. I mix it with diet 7up.

    Probably my biggest hang up with alcohol is that I was born mellow, so paying to get mellower is kind of silly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strawberry Daiquiri's hardly do anything for me either, and wine doesn't ever give me a buzz. I find to get properly buzzed I need either rum or vodka, or something a lot stronger than wine. (I don't drink beer so I can't help you there!)

    I find it takes about 2 shots of hard liquor to get me buzzed. If I want to get buzzed fast and feel it, then I go for a Cosmo (which has 3 shots).

    It's a lot easier to maintain a buzz than to start it, so usually when I go out (dancing at the clubs, mostly) I start off with 3 shots (a sure buzz) and if necessary take a shot here or there the rest of the night.

    ReplyDelete