Monday, January 31, 2011

What's going on with my dad???

I know, you can't answer that question.  I had to ask it, though.  He and I had a nice conversation about a month ago, but since then there just hasnt been much interaction between the two of us.  It's really beginning to BOTHER me.  I try to jump start conversations via email with him, but he responds with a sentence, maybe.  Sometimes it's not even a full sentence.  He's never rude, but the responses he gives are something you'd get from someone you just met off the street, not someone you used to talk with weekly and joke and fart around with.

I understand he's adjusting.  Fine.  He's had 4 months to adjust, though.  WTF?  It's starting to hurt my feelings now, you know?  I've brought up with him in the recent past that it seemed he was holding back and not interacting with me as he used to and he said he was just working things out for himself and he'd do better.  That was back in November, though.

I mean, I know better than to expect him to move as quickly through this maze of emotions as I have.  Still, I'm not seeing much of an effort on his part to keep up our relationship.  It's all me.  I do the contacting, the calling, the emailing.  In fact, I just emailed him my first little writing assignment last night asking him for a critique.  I've done this in the past with him and he's all about offering compliments when they are appropriate and bashing the hell out of my work when appropriate, but his response to my assignment was "sounds like a sad story."  Damn, he said nothing else, didnt even bother to capitalize the first word of his jacked up sentence.

Am I doing something wrong?  Am I going about this the wrong way with him?  At this point, I feel like I've done all I can do and I don't really care much for putting more of myself out there for him to ignore.  I don't want to lose my relationship with my dad, but I'm no masochist either and I don't want to continue just asking to be disrespected.

Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment